How to Nail Baseboard With Nail Gun
A baseboard is basically a piece of wood or plastic which is actually placed in between the bottom of wall and floor to protect the wall form damage like having scratches on the wall. In commercial area, plastic baseboards are commonly use on the other hand for finishing look, wooden baseboards are used in residentials. To install a baseboard, nail gun can be a perfect tool to nail the board against the wall.
As you know that the main kit of installing a baseboard is nail gun but the process of installation is still unclear. Here the installation process has described step by step so that anyone (an expert to beginner) can follow the instructions and nailed their nailing job.
What we need
- A finish nail gun
- Nails (depends on thickness of the baseboard)
- Tape measure
- Coping saw
- Wood glue
- Wood filler
- Safety glass and gloves
- Measure the baseboard: According to the length of the wall, the baseboard should be measured by a tape. If the wall is larger than baseboard, a joint can be placed right after the first baseboard and for
thatthe gap between two baseboards should be filled or otherwisethe whole task will be ruined only for an inch.
- Cut the baseboard: after measuring the boards, you have to cut the corner of the baseboard as angled so that it can fit in. If the corner is 90 degree, cut them into 45
degreesso that they can form to meet the outside. Use a coping saw to cut the corner as an angle.
- Using wood glue: To make the baseboard steady against the wall during nailing job, apply some wood glue on the baseboard and stick it on the wall. It will prevent the baseboard from moving during the nailing task
- Prepare your gun: Here
comesthe very important task in the whole instruction. Prepare a nail gun before using it is very important. Charge the battery or plug the nailer into an air compressor, load the magazine with nails and give some pre-shoot in a surface to know that the nail gun works or not. If it works finely than you can start your nailing job.
- Time to nail it: Place your gun on the surface of the baseboard and pull the trigger. Firstly, nail both sides of the baseboard so that it won’t move then shoot some more nails after every 20 inches.
Some Additional Tips
Using a nail gun is pretty dangerous too for the beginners. As they never use the nail gun before so accidently they can shoot themselves or injure any other person by shooting nails in a wrong direction. Here are some tips that will help to use nail gun correctly:
- Safety first: before using the nail gun, you should wear safety glasses and gloves to protect yourself from unwanted nails from the gun. With a blink of an eye, about 2 inches long nails can be shoot whenever the nozzle is pointed. A serious injury can be occurred during this circumstance.
- Know the gun: as previously said, different nail guns work in different situation. For installing a baseboard, a finish nailer can be a good kit. As this nailer is not heavy to handle and smaller than framing nailer so it is easy to work in different handle without numbing your hand by holding the gun too long.
- Right nails for right gun: Use the correct nails in your gun. Wrong size may cause damage on the surface
- Right pressure: if you are using air compressed nail gun, make sure that the pressure of the compressor is in right amount.
- Be smart: Using a block to push the baseboard towards the wall and roof so that there will be no gap in between them.
- Easy with old walls: Be easy with old walls as they are fragile. Don’t push so much pressure on the old walls if u do so it will break down like ashes.
Nailing a baseboard with a nail gun is pretty easy and safe. It won’t going to leave any hammer mark on the surface and at the same time it is fast so that builder can work faster than working with a hammer.